not typical, not peculiar . . . just ordinary

Monday, April 21, 2008

Active Waiting

How do you "Wait on God"?

Is it like waiting on a train? Does it imply sitting around listening for a heavenly phone to ring with God on the other line telling us what to do? Are we to wait patiently or impatiently? Are we allowed to be frustrated in the waiting process? And while we're at it, how do we know we're not missing the very thing we've been waiting for?

The Old Testament prophet Isaiah said, "the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!" (30:18).

The enitre context of chapter 30 is a declaration of suffering which has come upon the Israelites, God's own people, for their disobedience in forging their own path. "They say to the seers, 'See no more visions!' and to the prophets, 'Give us no more visions of what is right! Tell us pleasant things, prophesy illusions. Leave this way, get off this path, and stop confronting us with the Holy One of Israel!' (vv. 10-11). As one reads through the implacations against them in Isaiah, it becomes apparent that they concerned themselves more with short term prosperity than with longterm integrity. They demonstrated the antithesis of waiting on God.

The Hebrew word for "wait" most often used in the scriptures has an active meaning. It typically connotes endurance: "In waiting for God the Hebrew was in tense anticipation, full of hope, and willing to endure till God should come" (The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible, 796). One waits in trouble. One waits through suffering. One waits even in prosperity. But all the while, one waits actively.

How then should we wait?

This question weighs on my mind these days. I'm in a position where there is a lot of freedom, a lot of free time with which I can do what I want. Planting a new church that is a month along and as of yet has no gathering body, means that there are few immediate or pressing tasks which require my time. If I wanted, I could likely spend my days sitting here at my desk reading the news, organizing things, or doing any number of trivialities, and I could blame it on the fact that I'm "waiting on God" to build His church here through us.

But if I take the Biblical meaning of waiting on God, that is I wait actively, then I can't just sit in my office and do nothing and expect a church to miraculously appear. No, I must be involved in doing.

Now that doing doesn't mean I do my own thing, which is precisely what the Israelites were guilty of. Instead, I get busy doing God's work--reaching out to people with love and hope, meeting them where they are, utilizing the resources and gifts God's given me and my family for His purposes and Kingdom here on earth.

Just before He ascended to heaven, Jesus told His disciples to wait for Him in Jerusalem. Had they chosen to wait like the Israelites or like I often do, they probably would have just returned to Jerusalem, returned to their jobs and families and tucked Jesus' command away in the corner of their minds. That's not what they did.

"Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy. And they stayed continually at the temple, praising God" (Luke 24:53). It is likely that this is the place where they were when the Holy Spirit descended upon them with power 50 days later during Pentecost. They were actively waiting on God. Had they not waited in this way, how might things have been different?

And so I'm trying to learn how to wait on God by doing what I sense He's leading me to do. As I read His word and pray, as I listen throughout the day, as I keep my spiritual antenna tuned to His voice and leading, I'm trying simply to follow what I believe He's saying. I'm using my best judgment in discerning what He'd have me to do. Some of these efforts may be met with little success. Others may produce outward fruit. All of them lead to a heart willing to do whatever it is He asks of me.

It's not easy. It's not always clear or simple. In fact, sometimes I may not much feel like waiting on God at all. I certainly don't profess to be perfect at this waiting thing. But by I believe that waiting is the only faithful response to what God has shown us through His word and through the accumulative experiences of Christians throughout history.

So, I'll wait.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Ok, where was this post a year and a half ago-just kidding-kind of. I just wrote on our blog about the waiting we have been doing. Coincidence? Doubt it! If you're interested in reading more go the www.theepsteenchronicles.blogspot.com

Thanks Andy! It's so exciting to hear from you. My love to Barb and the kids.

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

ah...there are two things I'm not good at and they go hand in hand. Waiting and patience.

This posts reminds me of a favorite verse of mine...

Is 40:31 "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Miss you guys...think of you and pray for you often!