not typical, not peculiar . . . just ordinary

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Deep Fried Ambrosia--All Hail the Donut!

Okay, so maybe most people wouldn't equate donuts with the food of the gods, but I'm not one to shy away from such a claim.

Donuts, or doughnuts, aren't for everyone. I'll admit it. People who count calories shouldn't eat them; denizens of Weight Watchers, Jenni Craig, Jazzercize, and Overeaters Anonymous need not apply; self-abasing ascetics who eschew all earthly pleasures will run from them like a vegan from a Waffle House.

Yet, for those courageous enough, indeed brazen enough, to admit to their inner, hedonistic urges for all things doughy, to 'fess up to their wanton lack of self-control, yea even self-concern, the donut stands supreme in its ability to separate them from the rabble of wannabes and poseurs.

I've lived and traveled in my share of towns, villages, cities, and boroughs. I'd like to share a few of the outposts of deep-fried opulence in which I've had the privilege, nay, the pleasure, of procuring the portly, round pastry called the donut.

Kansas City, MO--Johnny D's (chocolate, iced cake donut), Fluffy Fresh (holland creme filled long john), and Lamar's (old fashioned).
Gatlinburg, TN--The Donut Friar's (bizmarks.)
Lafayette, IN--The Donut Company (Long John's)
Toledo, OH--Mama C's (bizmarks), Cafe Donut (glazed)

I'd like to know where the best donuts you've ever had are from. Who knows, I might be in that neck of the woods someday and get a hankerin' for some cholesterol.

3 comments:

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

I think you are sadly mistaken. You need to eat empanadas, cunapes, saltenas...and then you´ll never eat another donut again!

Andy Lauer said...

I've had empanadas (but not the others). Still a donut man.

Emily said...

Haha! You make me smile, Andy...

Q: Do you know where the first donuts were made?

A: In Grease! (Greece)

My Uncle Neil used to tell me that all the time when I was little. I didn't understand it until years later. :)