not typical, not peculiar . . . just ordinary

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy Birthday and the Problem of Evil

So I turn 34 today (I've outlived Jesus--I don't know if that's good or bad), and I spent the morning (well, 6:30-8:00) unlike any birthday I can remember--walking, jogging, and praying.

I say I was praying, but it was a bit of a one-way conversation with me doing most of the talking . . . er, complaining. I get that way sometimes, and I've found that long walks in places of solitude and silence lend themselves better to really getting at the heart of the issue. If we're truly honest, a lot of our praying closely resembles someone feeding a dog table scraps: We're occupied with whatever it is we're doing, not wanting to be bothered, but we feel guilty enough to toss a bone or two God's way every now and then. That's where I started off this morning, but with time (and the opportunity to pray aloud) what's gnawing at my gut usually makes it's way into the dialogue (or is it diatribe?).

I usually pray for my family at some point, for physical safety and spiritual protection, and that's when the "Problem of Evil" reared it's head again. I may pray that my children and wife will never have to experience some horrific act of violence and evil, and, although God may indeed protect my family, what about the thousands, perhaps millions of others who do suffer such atrocities? What about those who suffered in the genocide in Rwanda, or who languish in North Korean prison camps, or the children and women in brothels like those in Svey Pak, Cambodia that I read about recently in Christianity Today or even in those right here in Toledo? Why do they have to suffer when we pray for an end to evil? As a parent who loves my children immensely, and would never knowingly allow them to experience something so terrible, how can God, who is supposed to be "Love" itself, let people suffer the way they do?

The answer usually given is that in order for real love to exist, humans must have free will; we need the freedom to chose to love or not to love God. Well, this morning I said a big fat "Screw You!" to free will. Why not just give us limited free will--I think we could still love God just as much if the only things we weren't free to do were those sickening acts of violence toward others, particularly children, which we too often hear about. I mean, if you think about it, we already have limited free will anyway. I may wish to, but I can't just jump out of my window and fly away. There are physical laws in place that limit my freedom. More to the point, according to the Bible, I don't even have the freedom to reject God and ever truly be happy. So what would be the dectraction to free will if we added one more limiting factor: No violence toward others, or at least children?

So then, I began to question God's existence, as I think all of us must do from time to time if we're to be honest with ourselves and our experience of life. The "Problem of Evil" summed up states the following: We say God is all loving and all powerful. Yet if evil continues to exist, then God must either not be all loving--else how could He allow it to continue--or He's not all powerful, because if He were all loving and all powerful then He certainly would do something about it.

Now, sorry to disappoint you here, but I don't claim to have an answer to this--I don't think anyone does. Still, as I was having it out with God this morning, a thought occured to me which is helping me make some peace with it--at least for now.

I began to realize that rather than turn me away from God, the problem of evil actually ought to strengthen my belief in Him. Evil in the world does at least one thing well--it proves how truly messed up we human beings are when left to our own devices, when we do what we want to do instead of what God desires for us. Evil highlights our deep, infinite need for God. It demonstrates in visceral ways our utter lostness apart from Him and His laws.

Even more, as my former philosophy professor, Dr. Truesdale once wrote, "The Christian faith has no adequate rational "justification" or "solution" for the problem of evil. But it does have a more-than-adequate response." (If God is God, Then Why?, p. 107).

He goes on:
What sort of God do we meet in the Cross? None other than the God who suffers with us. The Cross guarantees that God is present with us. He doesn't stand safely aloof. In Christ we meet the eternal God, who so radically identifies with a suffering world that He takes the world's evil upon himself. Not just the sins of the world, but the unfathomable abyss of evil. In Christ, God radically identifies with human brokenness. He suffers the heinous death of His only begotten Son (p. 108).

I think I understand how the problem of evil could turn people away from God, but I think it only can when people fail to recognize that evil results from people choosing to do whatever it is they want to do and fail to yeild to the will of God.

Like I said, it still doesn't explain how evil can exist when we believe that God is all loving and all powerful, but it does at least point us to the One who ultimately has the answer to that question.

Well, here's to my 34th.

3 comments:

Eric Wright said...

I think you would like N.T. Wright's book Evil and the Justice of God.

Good read and good look at the problem of evil.

Keith said...

So I didnt read the article yet, but happy Birthday.

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

Happy Birthday from Bolivia!!!!! Pray for my job meeting on Monday morning and then my search for an apartment...especially since if I live in Fort Wayne I´ll be semi close to you guys!!!