not typical, not peculiar . . . just ordinary

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Thanks, President and Mrs. Roosevelt

I watched the story of President and Mrs. Roosevelt's life last night on the American Experience on PBS. I don't want to call myself a history buff (because I'm not), but the lives of those who lead or become leaders during difficult times always give me pause to think.

I believe that there exists an element of sacrifice of one's person to become a leader at that level, particularly when it comes to leading other people. From my observations, such people often end up being completely spent, washed up and worn out at the end of their task. It often takes a heavy toll on their health and their family. I would be hard-pressed to find many exceptions.

However, that's not what stood out to me the most.

President Roosevelt came to power just during the start of the Great Depression. Nearly a third of all able-bodied people were out of work. Families lived in shanty towns. Children went hungry and lacked any medical care. Millions lost their life savings. We've known nothing like it before or since.

Into this milieu comes Teddy, and with him comes the New Deal. In his first 100 days in office he introduced dozens of new policies providing instant economic, material, social, employment, and medical relief to millions. He dared to dream big, to believe that He could use his office to do something to help those who were hurting. And he did.

What stood out most to me, however, was the First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt. Propelled into a spotlight she never wanted, she nevertheless embraced it wholeheartedly. She began to travel the country extensively, to meet with the poor and destitute, to champion the cause of racial, economic, and gender equality. She became the personal face of the New Deal, and she relayed to her husband the harsh realities experienced by many Americans.

Observing this, it struck me how Kingdom-like this was. Here was a woman born into affluence, who resided in wealth and high culture her entire life, who now chose to move among society's dregs. She travelled tens of thousands of miles to be with hurting and lost people, to give them hope, to hear their stories--to show them love and compassion. Photos of her dining with poor families in shanty houses, talking with factory workers, and serving in soup kitchens, gave hope to and inspired millions of her countrymen and women. It reminds me of the kind of company Jesus kept during His earthly ministry.

I so long for a church like that--a church that actually reflects the racial, economic, and culturual realities of our society. Instead of a milquetoast whitebread church, I want to worship in an environment of human diversity, of fearlessness, of hopefullness, of active love. Call it utopian, call it idealistic, call it a pipe dream--I call it the Kingdom of God.

So, each day, I'm praying and asking God to help me to know how to grow this church. President and Eleanor Roosevelt's story inspired me and put into images and words the longings within my own spirit. My greatest challenge at this point now is making reality those longings and inspiring others to join.

Upon his death, President Roosevelt's body travelled by train from Georgia to Washington to New York for burial. The images captured on film show millions of people lining the tracks as his railcar passed by. Men and women wept, children clung to their mother's skirt, and all mourned the loss of a man (and woman) who had given them hope in a time of hopelessness.

I believe that when someone lives in a way reflective of God's Kingdom, that countless persons will be drawn to the hope and love they find there.

Lord, help my life and church exemplify your Kingdom. Amen.

1 comment:

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

That´s so neat! I didn´t know that she did so much traveling while he was in office, but I think it is great that she was willing to mingle with the people to learn where they were. Very Christ-like

You should check out my friend Amy´s blog. She´s working with street kids here in Bolivia. Her link is on my list of friends in my blog...

Denise