not typical, not peculiar . . . just ordinary

Monday, May 04, 2009


Last night at Emmaus Road Church we talked about the passage from Luke's gospel 24:13-35 where Jesus appeared to the two disciples walking on the road to Emmaus after the Resurrection. The amazing thing is that even though the disciples had already heard reports of the resurrection, they were still lost and confused (v. 17). It wasn't until they actually experienced the resurrected Christ and their eyes were opened that they were transformed.

So many in our world, even in the Church, have yet to really experience the resurrected Christ--and to have their eyes opened. Our vision for Emmaus Road Church is to be a place, a people, a church, where people com into a life-transforming experience with Jesus Christ--where their eyes are opened to the reality that He is there, and has been there with them all along.

I believe we're beginning to make strides in that direction and that people are starting to catch the vision. Every week since Easter we've had one or two new faces at ERC. I think it's only a matter of time before things begin to snowball. What an encouragement to finally begin seeing something happen.


One more thing, pray for me as I perform my uncle's funeral this week. He and my aunt were there for my family when my father was killed in a car accident. I pray that I can bring some of Christ's hope and peace to them now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I preached on that text on Easter Morning...I love that text. Perhaps not as much as you love it, what with naming your church after it and everything.

But it's still a pretty cool text.

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle...you'll all be in my prayers...

D

Sharon said...

I'll be praying for you and your family in this time of loss.