not typical, not peculiar . . . just ordinary

Monday, August 17, 2009

If you can't say anything nice . . .

After this post, it will be obvious that it's a good thing I usually filter what I'm thinking before I say it . . .

Do you ever do something that makes you mad, just to make yourself madder? I think that's me with Facebook. I've grown to hate it, well at least some of things people do on it. Here're a few things that are stickin' in my craw (not in any particular order):

#1--I hate the stupid quizzes people take, and I guess I hate reading the results even more. For example "Which Hollywood Diva (Hunk) Are You?" The person taking the quiz could be the homeliest person on the planet and yet the results are inevitable: "You are Julia Roberts (or George Clooney)" They should quit wasting their time and actually take the quiz "Which fantasy world do you live in?" The result? Backwards world.

#2--I hate it when people fake humility. For instance, "Buster Compton is really tired today after completing marathon in the morning and swimming the Atlantic Ocean in the afternoon." Or here's another one, "Wily Dedridge is feeling humbled after sharing my proposal today with the mayor of (name big city) and her entire cabinet." I'm sure the mayor thought about as highly of you as I do right now, so go get a life.

#3--I hate it when people send millions of invitations to join things I don't know or care anything about. Like this: "Jane Posetta invited you to join 'I like the old Facebook--you know, the one before they moved that one button on the bottom left-hand corner two centimeters to the right'." Or "Samson Franks wants you to join, 'I bet we can find fifty million Facebookers who wear loafers'." Hey, here's one: "Andy invites you to join 'Look Ma! No Life'."

Seriously, am I alone in this?


5 comments:

Sharon said...

I hide the quizzes...I have moments of pride or lack of humility...and I too ignore many "join my cause" requests!

I love it for networking and talking to people and sharing thoughts/music with others...it is a great ministry tool...but there is a lot of junk that has to be ignored...including games!! I can't believe you didn't mention games like farkle or pass a drink...or mafia wars...

godzgaljen said...

I hardly look now...I just click Ignore. I like some of the getting to know you things..kinda funny. I hate the fan buttons....now you can be a fan of Jesus, God, water, naps...ugh. What's the new craze?? Some farm game...lol.I may send that to you...for fun. haha!

Andy Lauer said...

Sharon and Jen,

It certainly has been a good ministry tool--that's really the reason I got on it in the first place, so we could have a church facebook page. And it's been good to see what old (and new) friends are up to.

Sharon, I didn't mention the games because I figured I'd already abused enough people. But yeah, they grate on my nerves too.

Heather said...

I just had to read this to Brett because he kept asking me why I was laughing out loud. As someone who isn't on facebook, he didn't get it. As a self proclaimed facebook addict, I cracked up.

I always love the "How Well Do You Know Joe Blow" quiz that was created by Joe Blow himself. In my head I always sing "your so vain, I bet you think this quiz is about you" :)

Oh, and one more thing. If I ever have a company I will insist that I am fb friends with all my employees. Instead of the standard status update, I want it to say "Mary Jane just spent 57 minutes feeding her Farmtown Chickens and deposited 2 billion dollars in her Mafia account while you are paying her to work"

Andy Lauer said...

Heather, that is an awesome idea--about insisting your employees be on facebook. I'm always dumbfounded by those people who obviously do that during work hours too. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised we don't see more of Keith doing that. Maybe if facebook had a "Shoot to Kill" mode, or a "Which C.O.D. sharpshooter are you?" quiz.